Sunday, February 19, 2017

Check Your 6 - Great War edition...

Saturday afternoon at Day Con provided an opportunity to play in a game of Colorful SKies - which is a Great War flavor of the Check Your 6 game engine.  The afternoon's game saw a complex clash as each side attempted to lure the opponent into attacking weak planes with their fighters. Set during the Fokker Scourge, the game features Roland IIC, FE2B, DH.2 and Fokker Eindeckers.

This was an absolutely fun game. It captures the feel and spirit of the Great War while still delivering a game that is definitely a Check Your 6 experience. We had seven players - all CY6 veterans - and the game ran very quickly. Though offered as 'bait' and with no skill pilots, my Roland IIC were clearly superior to the FE2B in almost every respect that mattered - speed, crew capability and robustness. They quickly earned the nickname "Sturmovik of the Western Front" as they were so much more robust than every other plane on the table. 

I'm really enjoying that you can use the same planes from Wings of War / Wings of Glory on hex bases and your ready to game. This is what I think of as 'old school gaming' at it's finest. 

If you like World War One aerial gaming, you just definitely look for these rules.  I think it's marketed as the Colourful Skies product, but verify that with I-94 before ordering.


My trusty steeds - the Roland IIC 


The first pass - the FE2B engage the Fokkers and Rolands. One of my Rolands's shot up his own tail! (I rolled snake eyes back to back!)  I sent several turns attempting to unjam the rudder.


Having passed the FE2B, I passed under the DH.2 coming in from above. Still trying to unjam that rudder! 

C'mon dude!  We're heading into Allied territory soon.


A shot from the other side of the table. The Rolands  continue to lure the British deeper into the trap. 

Meanwhile the DH.2 and Fokkers are mixing it up.




The Rolands turn the table on their pursuer...

Fokkers engage the DH.2

3 comments:

  1. Those hex sizes look to be the same as we typically use for 1/285th scale CY6...is that an accurate observation? And, did the chap running the game mention where he bought his hex bases?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that to be an accurate observation. Maybe 1.5" hexes? The flight stands appear to be from Litko -

    http://www.litko.net/products/Flight-Stand-Dice-Tray%2C-2%252d12mm-d6-%285%29.html#.WKuMVTsrK70

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect...same sized hexes as I have on my CY6 mat...and thanks for the link to the Litko bases.

      Delete